Will of William Wood of Dartmouth

William Wood of Dartmouth, glazier (b. February 7, 1700, d. about June, 1778)

Will Transcript May, 14, 1773:


This fourteenth day of the fifth month Called May One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy Three I William Wood of Dartmouth in the County of Bristol in the Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England glaizer, being weak of Body but of a sound disposing mind and memory do make and ordain this my Last Will and Testament.  And as to Such Worldly Estate wherewith it hath Pleased God to Bless me with in this Life I give devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form (viz.)

Imprimis    I give to Patience my Loving Wife the use and Improvement of the one half of that part of my Lands and Meadows which I shall hereafter in this my Will give to my son John Wood to gather with the use and improvement of the New House that I now dwell in also the use and Improvement of one half of my Live Stock and the use and improvement of one half of my farming tools and working gear of all sorts also the improvement of one half of my Indoor Moveables excepting my money and debts due to me & my Wearing Apparel and desk all of which uses and improvements I give her during the time She remains my Widow I Likewise give her my side-saddle and what provisions wool and flax cloth and yarn Tallow soap and fat that I shall Leave at my decease and one half of the hay that shall be left at my decease on that part of my farm that I give to my Son John  all uses and improvements and gifts above given to my said Wife is in Lieu of her right of dower in my Estate.

Item   I give and bequeath to my Son Zerviah Wood and to his heirs and assigns forever all my Lands and Meadows Lying to the southward and eastward of the Lines hereafter described that is beginning at a stake Eighteen rods and a Quarter Northward of and from the North East Corner bound of that parcel of Land that I bought of Thomas Nye in that called the Herren-river Neck and in the Range of the East Line to the River running one rod North of the North End of a Large rock in an old field then from A stake again East Seven degrees and a Quarter Southerly across the brook Commonly called the Herren River ranging just at the South End of a little Hummock or Island in the brook and to Extend two rods over and beyond said Hummock or Middle of the brook to a stake and from thence North Ten degrees Easterly five rods to a stake on the west side of the brook, and from thence North Thirty one degrees westerly Twenty Nine rods and a half to the corner of a stone wall from thence North seven degrees easterly as the stone wall stands to the north line of that Lot of Land that I bought of Hezekiah Tenkcom (sp?) from thence Easterly in the north Line of sd lot untill it comes to the East End thereof Together with a piece of Lot of Land Next to that called the Town Lot that I sold to Elnathan Eldredge of four rods and a half in width to begin six rods Southward from the Town way and Extend to the river Southward; to gather with my Island Lying in Accushnet River I Likewise give him my wearing Apparel and desk and one half of my farming tools and working gear of all sorts I Likewise give him all the money that I shall Leave at my decease with all Debts Due to me on book bonds and Notes of hand all which I give him he paying all my just debts funeral charges and charge of Settling my estate; and providing for my sd wife yearly during the time she remains my Widow one half of hat shall be judged by Indifferent men a Sufficiency of good firewood at the door of my now Dwelling House cut to a suitable length for her chimney.  And my will further is that my sd Son Zerviah Wood out of what I have above given him shall pay to my Daughter Zilpha West the sum of Thirteen Pounds six shillings and eight pence Lawful money Provided that she should be reduced to want and her Husband does not return to take care of her in which case my Will is that my sd son Zerviah shall pay to her from time to time such sum or sums of money and that the whole be paid of my Trusty and Eternal friends Bartholomew Taber and Stephen Hathaway shall judge necessary, but if my sd Daughter Zilpha should die before the whole or any part thereof be paid he shall be discharged from the payment.

Item   I give and bequeath to my son John Wood and to his heirs and assigns forever all the remainder of my Lands and Meadows not before in this my Will given to my son Zerviah (the Burying Hill and that six rods in Length between the Town way and the Lot given to Zerviah Excepted) the one half thereof to be possessed by him immediately after my decease with the old housing and the other half at my Wife’s marriage or decease, I Likewise give him one half of my Live Stock and what shall be left of that half that I gave my Wife the use of, at her marriage or decease, with that half of the farming tools that I gave her the use of when she has done with them, all which I give him he cutting and bringing to the door of my Now Dwelling house one half of a sufficiency of good firewood for my Wife yearly during the time she remains my widow cut to a suitable Length for her chimney.  And paying what Legacies I shall order for him to pay in this my Will.

Item   I give my Large Stilyards to my above sd Two Sons Zerviah & John

Item   I give to my Daughter Rebecca Eldredge that part of my indoor Moveables that I gave my Wife the use of as above in this my Will after the time is expired that she was to use them I likewise give her five shillings to be paid by my son John Wood beside what I have already given her.

Item   I give unto my daughter Hannah Mendall all the remainder of my indoor moveables not before in this my Will disposed of beside what I have already given her.

Item   I give unto my daughter Zilpha West five shillings to be paid to her by my son John Wood beside what I have already given her

Item   I give unto my daughter Anstis Wing five shillings to be paid to her by my son John Wood beside what I have already given her

Item   I give unto my granddaughter Mary Allen and to her Heirs and Assigns forever that piece of Land joyning to the town Lot that Lies between that above given to my son Zerviah Wood and the Town Way to be taken of with the same Straight Line that his is

Item   I give unto the (two words) rest of my Daughter Wings children five shillings to be paid by my son John Wood to them in equal parts

Item   I give unto my grand-children the children of my daughter Drusilla Howland deceased five shillings to be paid to them by my son John Wood in equal parts

And whereas the bodies of some persons that were persons of good account in their day were buried on the little Hummock or Island in the Meadow at the foot of my homestead commonly called the burying hill and I not being Willing that the graves should be in any way defaced do therefore in this my will hereby give said Hummock or Island to and for a burying place forever and for no other use to be made of it for all persons to bury their dead there that have a mind to, that my two above named sons Zerviah Wood and John Wood they and their heirs after them shall think suitable to be buried there to whom I Leave the care thereof.

Item   I hereby Constitute make and ordain my above named son Zerviah Wood sole Executor of this my Last Will and Testament hereby making void all other and former Wills by em made confirming this and no other as my Last Will and Testament In witness whereof I the sd William Wood do hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year first above written                            the words (one half) interlined in the gift to my fife before (Enseading?)

 

Signed Sealed Published

And declared by the said

William Wood as his last                                                        William Wood

Will & Testament in

Presence of us the subscribers

 

Lewis Taber

Ephriam Davis

Bartho Taber

 

Bristol July 6th 1778


 

Codicil to William Wood’s Will

Be it known to all Men by the Presents that whereas William Wood of Dartmouth in the county of Bristol in the Province of the Massachusetts Bay on New England glazier having made and declared my Last Will and Testament in writing bearing date the fourteenth day of ye fifth month called May AD Seventeen hundred Seventy three I the said William Wood by this present Codicil do Ratifie and confirm the same saving such parts thereof as is become Necessary to be altered.  And firstly whereas my daughter Zilpha West has deceased since I made my above said will I do give unto me grandchildren the children of my said of my said daughter Zilpha five shillings Each to be paid them by my Executor out of what I have given him.  Secondly where my son John Wood is deceased since the making said will I do therefor give the use and Improvement of one half of what I gave my sd son John in my said will to Sarah his widow untill my grandson Gideon Wood is twenty one years of age or would be so if he lives to that time (2 words) supporting her younger children if she remains my sons Widdow so long but if she should marry or die before that time my Will is that my son Zerviah Wood and my Esteemed friend Bartholomew Taber should take it into their hand and apply the (rights?) thereof to the above use.

Item   I give and bequeath to my three grandsons Namely Thomas Wood Joseph Wood and Gideon Wood all that I gave to their father John Wood deceased in my above recited will (except that half of the live stock that I gave my wife the Improvement of) to them their heirs & Assigns forever.  To each of them one third part thereof to be divided amongst them and [2 words] of when Gideon comes to the age of twenty one years or above they Allowing their grandmother to enjoy the privileges given her in the same during the time therein assigned to her and pay and perform what I ordered their father John Wood in sd will to pay and perform.  And further pay each of them then pounds Lawful money to my daughter Hannah Mendall when the place shall come into their hands and five shillings a piece to each of their younger Brothers namely Walter Wood Russell Wood Richard Wood John Wood & Caleb Wood

And whereas my son Zerviah Wood must undoubtedly have more care and trouble on his hands in taking care of me and my Wife and his Brothers children than if his brother had been living In consideration whereof I give him that half of my livestock that my wife is to have the use of during Widowhood he to have it when her term is out in it but if my Wife [thank?] not except of what I have given her in my will in lew of her right of dowry in my Estate but should come in for her thirds of the Estate.  In that case my Will is and I do hereby give that half of the live stock above mentioned to sd Zerviah to have whenever she shall do [break?] in upon my estate  And it is my Will and meaning that the codicil or [shudle?] be & be a judged part and parcel of my Last Will and Testament & all things herein contained or mentioned be faithfully and timely performed in every respect as if the same had been declared & set down in my said last will & Testament.  In Witness whereof I do hereunto set me hand and seal this fourteenth day of ye first month seventeen hundred & seventy Eight signed sealed & delivered by the said William Wood to be part and parcel of his Last Will & Testament in presence of us the subscribers

 

Lewis Taber

Ephriam Davis                                                            William Wood

Bartho Taber